Same issue here using jquery.ui-1.6rc4\demos\tabs\default.html as a
base
line 11 ...
$(function() {
                $("#tabs").tabs();
                // tried 3 variations from different sources
                $("#tabs").data('disabled.tabs', [2,3]);
                $("#tabs").tabs("disable", [2,3]);
                $("#tabs").tabs({disabled: [2,3]        });

Also tried classes class="ui-state-disabled" on each list item, they
appear disabled but still click.

Is it more difficult than this?

Danny