Hello,

maybe it could be easier to use the good old DOM in this scenario:

var textNode = $('#testText').get().firstChild; // now we have the
textNode
var textRaw = textNode.nodeValue; // now we have the text string with
all the white-space around
var text = $.trim(textRaw); // we strip the trailing white-space using
the jQuery trim function

Of course this works as expected only if the text you're looking for
is placed in the #testText's first textNode.

I'd recommend using more meaningful markup instead and putting the
text inside <p> element. ;)

--
Bohdan Ganicky