I think this misses the point of having a mask. You should decide
which format *you* want the data in and force the user to follow suit.
Probably the best way in your case would be to force 4 digits for the
year.

Unless, of course, you're dealing with existing IDs or something,
where the year might be either 2 or 4 digits. That would kind of suck.