This is right from the code itself for the ".ajax()" function

// Create the request object; Microsoft failed to properly
// implement the XMLHttpRequest in IE7, so we use the ActiveXObject
when it is available
var xhr = window.ActiveXObject ? new ActiveXObject
("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") : new XMLHttpRequest();