Hey Jörn thanks for the reply.

What I mean by error containers is like the examples you have provided
here -> http://jquery.bassistance.de/validate/demo/errorcontainer-demo.html

I checked and yes they actually do validate as XHTML 1.0 Transitional,
however, I'm using XHTML 1.1 which doesnt like having the { and } in
the class attribute.

Is there any way to use containers but not have to put this markup in
the XHTML?

thanks,
Martin