I'm trying to write a couple functions that will clear a form field on
focus. I also want to the change the class if the value has changed.

I'm new to jQuery and a novice Javascript developer, so hopefully my
issue is apparent. There appears to be an issue in how I am
referencing $this. I wanted these functions to be dynamic, as in they
will automatically affect all inputs on my form.

The functions appear to be attaching properly - onFoucs confirmed -
but if I console.log out $this.value it is undefined. if I do just
$this, then I can see the object and it shows input#txtfirstname for
example but I can't figure out how to properly reference $this.value
for instance.

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

JAVASCRIPT EXCERPT:

$(document).ready(function() {
                        $("form :text").blur(function(){

                                var $this = $(this);
                                if( $this.value = '' ) {
                                $this.value = defaultValue;
                                $this.removeClass("changed").addClass
("default");
                                }
                                else
                                {

$this.removeClass("default").addClass("changed");
                                }
                                return false;
                        });

                        $("form :text").focus(function(){

                                var $this = $(this);
                                if( $this.value = $this.defaultValue ) {
                                $this.value = '';
                                $this.removeClass("default").addClass
("changed");
                                }
                                else
                                {

$this.removeClass("changed").addClass("default");
                                }
                                return false;

HTML EXCERPT:

Name' id='txtfirstname' size='20' value='First Name' /></span>
Name' id='txtlastname' size='20' value='Last Name' /></span>