or you can do this.
1. your php create the file from your post.
2. return something to the script ($.post) that says you have
successfully created the file
    or maybe with the filepath in it in json or whichever format it
is.
3. redirect your current window to the path of this file.

But it may show the file as is because browser can usually display a
txt file.

I am not sure how to open up the browser dialog save us box :)