Backslash is the escape character for a JavaScript string, e.g.

    alert( 'a\'b' === "a'b" );  // true

So when you use \. you're merely escaping the "." in the string - in other
words the \ does nothing in this case. When you use \\ then the first \
escapes the second one and you get the \ in the string. Try these:

    alert( '#test2.3' );  #test2.3
    alert( '#test2\.3' );  #test2.3 - same as above
    alert( '#test2\\.3' );  #test2\.3 - finally what you want

-Mike