A JSON object can only contain either other objects, arrays, numbers
or strings. In your case the #test is just a text string, not an
element. So yes, you need to append it to the document so that it's
parsed and becomes part of the DOM tree. But you can also create the
element without appending it to the document first:

Appending to document:
$('#here').append(data.items);

Creating it, modifying and then appending (only works if data.items is
a string with properly valid XHTML):
$(data.items).bind('something').css('something').appendTo
('#somewhere');