On Jan 26, 2009, at 12:56 AM, jQuery Lover wrote:

You can also try this:

$('#testlink')[0].getAttribute('href');

Returns whatever is in your href...

Actually, in IE, where I'm guessing the problem is occurring, you need to set the iFlags argument to 2 in order to get the actual value of the href attribute.

From MSDN [1]:

iFlags Optional. Integer that specifies one or more of the following flags: 0 Default. Performs a property search that is not case-sensitive, and returns an interpolated value if the property is found. 1 Performs a case-sensitive property search. To find a match, the uppercase and lowercase letters in sAttrName must exactly match those in the attribute name. If the iFlags parameter for getAttribute is set to 1 and this option is set to 0 (default), the specified property name might not be found. 2 Returns the value exactly as it was set in script or in the source document.

[1] http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms536429(VS.85).aspx

In this case, it would be:

$('#testlink')[0].getAttribute('href', 2);

One more reason to just use the jQuery method -- so we don't have to worry about such cross-browser silliness.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com