Thanks Mike!

Your script mostly works in IE once appended with });

The message displays and the form submits which is what it needs to
do. IE still has a little weird behavior in that it takes two clicks
to submit the form. On the first click, the form "jumps" a bit. It's
then necessary to reposition the cursor and on the second click the
message displays and submits. Firefox still working as expected.