Three options:

jsonp - allows ajax type requests to other domains
iframes - set the src attribute on an iframe to the remote page, use JS to extract the info you need from that frame server side - do an http request via your server side code, extract what you need there, and make it available to your page as needed.

There may be more options for getting data from remote URLs, but these are what I have commonly seen. The server side approach is probably the easiest and/or better performing option.

My thoughts.

Shawn

Trend-King wrote:
ok i understand

but how does plugins like thickbox or some balloon tips handle the get
from other domains.

in that plugins you can say get me the content from for example
google.

do they all manage this via iframe?

William schrieb:
You just described a basic XSS attack, browsers generally do not allow
cross-domain XHR because of that. You can get around it by using your
own domain as a proxy for JSONP.