Use the effects in jQuery-UI when you need more than basic slideUp/
slideDown. Using show & hide with the appropriate options will allow
you to slide in any direction. You also have a lot more effects to
choose from then just 'slide'

To open by sliding 'up', and close in reverse...

$E.show( 'slide', {direction: 'up'} );
$E.hide(  'slide', {direction: 'up'} );

To use a 'drop' effect instead of 'slide'...

$E.show( 'drop', {direction: 'up'} );
$E.hide(  'drop', {direction: 'up'} );

You can find details in the jQuery docs:

http://docs.jquery.com/UI/Effects

/Kevin