Could you check out this example I created and let me know if that was
your intended effect? I'm still not entirely certain I'm grasping
everything you're trying to do. Basically, you have an initial list.
You want the image in each one to fade in/out when the link is
hovered. You then want to be able to add a list item to the list and
have the hover effect still work. Using the most recent JQuery, you
could use the new .live() event handler like in my example, or you
could change it back to a bind and use the hover event instead of
mouseover and mouseout.

http://shaneriley.info/deletefade