A parameter has to be key=>value, in some form, otherwise how is it
identified?

contentType: "application/json; charset=utf-8",

This should only be set if your webservice expects the input parameter
in JSON format as well, and not only the response is JSON.
Is this the case?

How does the code of your webservice look like? (the part which gets
the input parameter)