@boermans

The first thing I tried was your example:

ajax: {url: $("select#chained").val() +'_1.js'},

I don't think this works inside this structure, but then I'm not
reallty sure how to test the variable INSIDE THIS STRUCTURE!  :)

Here is my whole code now...

<script type="text/javascript">

                var selectVal = $("select#bchained").val();
                var countryList = selectVal + '_1.js';
                var cityList = selectVal + '_2.js';
                alert (countryList); //just to test the varaible
                alert (cityList); //just to test the variable
                jQuery(document).ready(function()
                {
                        jQuery("#bchained_child").cascade("#bchained",{
                                ajax: {url: countryList},
                                template: commonTemplate,
                                match: commonMatch
                        });
                        alert(selectVal, jsonUrl);

jQuery("#bchained_sub_child").cascade("#bchained_child",{
                                ajax: {url: cityList },
                                template: commonTemplate,
                                match: commonMatch
        </script>

The two alerts pop up when the page is first loaded or reloaded and
the variables are correct.  However, I don't think they get changed
when the value in the select box gets changed.  In other words, that
first variable declaration var selectVal = $("select#bchained").val();
only happens when the page is LOADED/RELOADED, and not dynamically
through the DOM.

I need to figure out how to get either a) those variables updated when
a select box value changes, or b) some way to append my simple file
extensions to the value inside the ajax: {url: ???} call.....

Is there a way to add a function inside the ajax: {url: } structure?