> Anyone know if blockUI is slated to transition over to using $.support
> instead of $.browser?

Yes, blockUI will move towards using $.support in the future.

> More generally, what are people's opinions about the adoption of this
> feature?  Much of the time, browser-specific code I write is for some
> esoteric problem that shows up in a particular browser, not some more
> generic issue, like support for the W3C box model.

Lots of smart people have differing opinions on it:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-dev/browse_thread/thread/2b70ead1e2cc186d#

Personally, I think that having no userAgent sniffing in the core
jQuery library itself is fantastic. Of course it currently only
defines $.support properties for things it needs internally.  Plugins
have various other needs.

Mike