First of all, it's JavaScript, not Java. Second, you always need
serverside validation - anything on the clientside can be disabled. An
attacker wouldn't even have to use a browser to submit the form.

In other words: Implement both. Serverside for security and data
integrity, clientside for a better user experience.

Jörn