You might save yourself a world of pain if you use standards-based id
attributes:

HTML 4 spec section 6.2 says, "ID and NAME tokens must begin with a
letter ([A-Za-z]) and may be followed by any number of letters, digits
([0-9]), hyphens ("-"), underscores ("_"), colons (":"), and periods
(".")."

XHTML spec section C.8 says, "Note that the collection of legal values
in XML 1.0 Section 2.3, production 5 is much larger than that
permitted to be used in the ID and NAME types defined in HTML 4. When
defining fragment identifiers to be backward-compatible, only strings
matching the pattern [A-Za-z][A-Za-z0-9:_.-]* should be used. See
Section 6.2 of [HTML4] for more information."