On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 4:50 AM, Skari <skar...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am in the early stages of developing a web portal and want to
> provide a drag-n-drop of blocks, so users can pretty much configure
> their own custom page. I am using Drupal as a CMS and found some
> pretty well functioning modules which enable the DnD functionality.
>
> I noticed that the Drupal modules in question (jquery_drag_drop,
> jquery_interface and interface_sortable) use the "Interface" plugin
> (http://interface.eyecon.ro). On inspecting this plugin it seems to me
> that it offers some of the same functions as do ui.sortable.js,
> ui.draggable.js and ui.droppable.js.
>
> So the question is basically: is the Interface plugin superseded by
> jQuery UI? So would I be using "old-tech" if I used the Interface
> plugin?

Yes. And Yes. The Interface plugin library is compatible with jQuery 1.1.2
and was never updated to be compatible with the 1.2 version of jQuery, let
alone 1.3. jQuery UI followed. See

http://rdworth.org/blog/2008/10/jquery-plugins-and-jquery-ui/

for more. If you end up deciding to use jQuery UI, we'd be happy to help you
with any further questions you may have, on the jQuery UI lists:

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-ui/about

http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-ui-dev/about

- Richard