I have the exact same problem as this post below from a while back,
which got no valid response. The reason that I need to use synchronous
calls is that on some ajax submittals we either submit the entire page
or return a message to the user, depending on validations -
asynchronous will not work for my purposes. Does anyone have any
advice on getting BlockUI to work in this scenario?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

The original post:

BlockUI doesn't want to load correctly in IE. The JQuery routine I'm
running contains an Ajax call that takes a while. I call .blockUI
before calling a synchronous Ajax call and .unblockUI afterwards. It
works as expected in FF but in IE (both 6 and 7) the screen freezes
until the Ajax call completes then shows the BlockUI message for a
brief second.

I'm using JQuery 1.2.6 and BlockUI 2.0

Here is the basic gist of my code

$.blockUI({message: '<b>Compiling data for your report</b><br/
>...please wait.'});

$.ajax({type: "POST", url: "sample.htm", async: false});
$.unblockUI();

As I mentioned the Ajax call can take upwards of 15 seconds. I've
tried the following to no avail:
- I set the block/unblock call in ajaxStart and ajaxStop
- I changed the page header from transitional to strict
- I used setTimeout to try to stall the Ajax call (thinking the
browser animation just needed time to load)
- I set a delay on "sample.htm" to ensure it would load nothing for 5
seconds