Here is what I've added to my Apache Config to support mod_deflate of my
html, css and js. I just dropped this in at the bottom of my httpd.config.
# Create the output filter
SetOutputFilter DEFLATE
# Netscape 4.x has some problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4 gzip-only-text/html
# Netscape 4.06-4.08 have some more problems
BrowserMatch ^Mozilla/4.0[678] no-gzip
# MSIE masquerades as Netscape, but it is fine
BrowserMatch bMSIE !no-gzip !gzip-only-text/html
## Don't compress for IE5.0
BrowserMatch "MSIE 5.0" no-gzip
# Don't compress images, flash, PDFs
SetEnvIfNoCase Request_URI.(?:gif|jpe?g|png|swf|pdf)$ no-gzip dont-vary
# Make sure proxies don't deliver the wrong content
Header append Vary User-Agent env=!dont-vary

Hope that helps...

--
Brandon Aaron