No answer yet.  I've tried playing around with using:$('h2').after('<div
class="someclass">');
$('h2:not(:first)').before('</div>');

but that doesn't seem to be working (and is also problematic because it
leaves an open <div> after the last h2).

it seems that the after() and before() methods each want to insert a full
element (opened and closed).  i can't tell, but i get the impression that
jQuery is closing the <div class="someclass"> div automatically.

hoping somebody else might jump in with a more elegant (and correct/working)
solution.