James,

We just ran into the same issue. In my case we are opening a modal
window with nyroModal. Here is the validate function.

var myValidate = $("#myform").validate({
                        ignoreTitle: true,
                        focusCleanup: false,
                        ignoreTitle: true,
                        debug: true,
                        onfocusout: false,
                        submitHandler: function(form) {
                                // do other stuff for a valid form
                                $(form).submit();
                                parent.$.nyroModalRemove(); return false;
                        },
                rules: {
                                        with_req_request_date: {
                                        required: true,
                                        date:true
                                        },
                                        with_req_request_type: {
                                        required: true
                                        },
                                        withdrawal_reason_id: {
                                        required: true
                                        },
                                        case_note: {
                                        required: true
                                        }
                },

                messages: {
                with_req_request_date: "Please enter the date in proper
'mm/dd/yyyy' format",
                    with_req_request_type: "Please select the request type",
                                withdrawal_reason_id: "Please select the
withdrawal reason",
                                case_note: "Please enter the case note"
            }

                // } )

                }) //End of validate

What I did notice if that I do not do the form.submit inside the
submit handler the recursion does not occur.  Not sure if that helps.
Also in this case this is the only validate call.

Kevin