I checked and did not find prob with z-index.

So  the A.P. was not covering the div containing the form buttons.
(.panelpod).

It was to do with an alpha image loader nonsense that was interfering
with .panelpod containing buttons.

/*--- alpha image loader nonsense causing the probs. ---*/
* html .panelmid {height: 1%; background:none;
filter:progid:DXImageTransform.Microsoft.AlphaImageLoader(src='images/
panel-mid.png',sizingMethod='scale');}

Thankyou for input.