Nodes can be manipulated without being part of the DOM, for example like
this:

var node = $('<div class="aewsoem"></div>')[0];

$('<span class="great"></span>').appendTo(node);

$("body").append(node);

Just note that jQuery always returns a collection of nodes, so if you
create one to access it you have to take the first from this collection
with the [0].

drx

--
New Bodenständig 2000 record / Neue Bodenständig 2000 Schallplatte:
http://bodenstandig.de/2000/