oddly enough that is the one option that doesn't produce anything ...no firebug errors and no output

with selector ending in html() i can print alerts with the cell contents, just can't get the variable and the index to create one output

selector tried ...tr alone... then tr td, ....tr td text      tried them all with .val(), .text() and .html()

tried the this function with a variety of configs also

i seem to be close but my strengths are not in scripting

mkmanning wrote:
Sorry, didn't look closely enough. Your selector is wrong; try this:
var country_name= $("td:first",this).text();