> I have a scenario where i need to detect when the content area of the
> browser changes size. Now, normally one would just attach to the
> window's resize event and be done with it. But, this does not work
> when something on the page causes a scrollbar to appear. The window
> never raises and event since the window did not change size, just its
> content did to make room for the scrollbar.

I've never seen this particular issue myself but it sounds like a
pain...

Yeah, in this one case it's true that IE does what you usually want,
which is to know when an element changes dimensions.

If your own code is inserting the content that makes the scrollbar
appear, maybe you could do a check after the insert to see if that
happened and take appropriate action? Or, do the old standby and check
on a timer a few times a second. Neither are very elegant, but they
should work if nobody comes up with a better solution.