My 2 cents:
"You can still use name,...", yes, and you can use an attribute called
"foobar", but that doesn't mean you should. Rob indicates"The name
attribute is valid for many more elements" and then provides the full
list, but I don't see DIV on that list anywhere.

According to the spec for HTML4 (which is where Rob's list comes
from), DIV has the following attributes:
 coreattrs (id,class,style,title)
 i18n (lang,dir)

Browsers are notoriously forgiving, so the burden of writing valid
HTML falls on the developer (and it will make your JavaScript easier
to debug).