No, JSON is the correct route.  If you are using ajax to retrieve
json, then you can pull the json into a javascript object
immediately.  If you are using PHP to generate pages, then you can
print out the JSON object as a string directly into javascript and
create javascript objects that way.  jQuery has built in methods
to .getJSON that provides the basis of all my AJAX calls in the web
app I work on.

Another tip, standardize all the JSON responses into a format you
like, for example

{
  'header': {
     'type': String,
     'message': String
  },
  'payload': {
    'data': []

That way you can create one object that calls .getJSON and use that
object to do all of your ajax calls and have a standard set of
call is running, etc.

Good luck.