I don't have context for what you're trying to do, but if you want to
hide the first OL that's displayed, then:

fieldset.find("ol:eq(0)") finds it to hide it.

but, if you just want this to be collapsable, and when clicking on the
legend, uncollapse, wouldn't this be much easier?

      $('fieldset').each(function(index, obj){
        var $item = $(obj);
        $item.find("legend").click(function(e){
                $item.find("ol:first").toggle();
        });
        $item.find("ol:first").hide();
      });

If you want to do something else, explain...