I searched this group and Googled for examples but haven't what I was
looking for.

Consider this use case:

A database-driven backend presents a page with a table containing many
rows (100's or more). Instead of having the user enter new search
criteria and send another request to the backend, I'd like to provide
client side filtering to narrow the displayed results, with the option
to restore the original results.

There is (was?) a TableFilter plugin, but it offers different
functionality.

Are there any plugins or examples that do this? I'm especially
interested in something that could peacefully co-exist with
TableSorter.