Could you post how you're doing the .load() jQuery part?
It sounds like you're passing it through the url, like:
$.load("page.php"+myVar);
In this case, you should use some kind of Javascript function to
encode the variable:
$.load("page.php?q="+encodeURIComponent(myVar));

Else, it's recommended you should try putting the data in as a
separate parameter:
$.load("page.php", {q:myVar});
the + sign should not be converted. Note that if you do this you're
POST-ing the data.