Although I don't wish to speak for John Resig, my understanding is that jQuery was inspired by Prototype and Moo.fx, but it's not simply a new implementation of them. IIRC, John initially used Moo.fx as a base, refactoring it along the way, but even in its earliest iterations, the effects code diverged quite a bit from Moo.fx. The whole library has gone through so many rewrites since then that it's probably safe to say that current versions of Prototype and Mootools are just as much inspired by jQuery as the other way around. As for the size difference, it's hard to say exactly where that comes from. They aren't feature-for-feature analogues. Some code might be terser in one library than in the other. Some features in one might not be present in the other. Prototype, for example, has a bunch of methods that extend native prototypes. jQuery does not. jQuery core includes some animation features that Prototype delegates to Scriptaculous.

Please take the above comments as impressions only. They are not official pronouncements. Anything mentioned above should be corroborated by John Resig (preferably) or another member of the jQuery team before being quoted or accepted as true.

--Karl

Karl Swedberg
www.englishrules.com
www.learningjquery.com