Ice, I just recently released a plugin that might suit your needs.
It's basically a way to transmit HTML as JSON for this exact kind of
thing.

Check out: code.google.com/p/hsjn

Taking the case you gave, if you change the JSON your returning to:

[['option', {value: 1}, 'Physics'],['option', {value: 2}, 'Chemistry'],
['option', {value: 3}, 'Biology']]

You can do the following in your ajax success function:

success: function(data){
   var el = $('#idOfYourDropdown').children().remove();
   $.each(data, function(){
      el.hsjn(this);