Here's the html for you.

        <th></th>
        <th>Title</th>
        <th><input type="checkbox" name="chk_cat1" id="chk_cat1" /></
th>
        <th><input type="checkbox" name="chk_cat2" id="chk_cat2" /></
th>
td>
id="chk_cat1_row1" /></td>
id="chk_cat2_row1" /></td>
td>
id="chk_cat1_row2" /></td>
id="chk_cat2_row2" /></td>

I think what I'm going to do is change the attributes for the
checkboxes, so it will make it easier to find the header related
checkboxes and row related items.  So, I'll be formatting the check
boxes like this:

<input type="checkbox" name="chk_cat1_row1" id="chk_cat1_row1"
headerid="chk_cat1" rowid="row1" />

Now I don't have to parse any id's out and jQuery seems to work with
this.

Thanks!