I think you should probably unbind that inline onclick attribute on
page ready and re-assign your own onclick function with jQuery (even
if it's the same thing). Save your custom onclick callback function to
a variable (as in, separate it from the onclick assignment so it's a
standalone function that can be called elsewhere). Then use unbind()
to unbind the click.
http://docs.jquery.com/Events/unbind#typefn
Then when you're ready, re-bind the click with the saved callback
function again.