Tor,

To select an item when the finder is created you can use the public
method $('some').finder('select', URLS_ARRAY or URL_STRING or
DOM_ELEMENTS ). Call this method on the onInit callback.

There is no function that returns some sort of path for the current
page. I believe it would be easy to hack one yourself, something like:

var path = [];
$('div.ui-finder').find('li.ui-finder-list-item-active > a').each
(function(){
     path.push( $(this).attr('href') );
});

path // = [ 'level1.html', 'level2.html', 'level3.html' ]

So, you could store the array as a cookie (in string format of course)
on window.onunload and then on load..

$('some').finder({
onInit: function(){  $(this).finder('select',path_as_array) }
})

I'm sure there are many ways to achieve this, but the two main things
to keep in mind is that
1. you can pass an array of urls to .finder('select', ... ) and it
will select them in that order; and
2. you can select the current path by using the path function I
provided above

Hope this makes sense