Thanks MorningZ, I gave this approach whirl and in a roundabout sort
of way it seems to accomplish the same thing I was doing in my third
example.

$("#thisDiv").load("../sample.html", { }, function() {
    var div = document.createElement("div");
    var text = document.createTextNode($("#thisDiv").html());
    div.appendChild(text);
    var EscapedHTML = div.innerHTML;
    $("#thisDiv").text(EscapedHTML);
});

In a nutshell I want to display the text of an HTML file as plain
text. I'm able to do this, with HTML, but I'm unable to prevent the
javascipt in the HTML from executing.  My goal is to write a simple
function that loads code from a document and displays it as text.