Check out the amazing jQuery UI Layout plugin.  Go through the demos,
I'm sure you can keep the south pane hidden and then show it on
hover.  Conversly, you could always use a fixed position DIV at the
bottom of the page, hide it and then on hover use something like
slideUp to show it..

jQuery UI Layout - a really well thoughtout PlugIn (great for Control
Panels as well)
http://layout.jquery-dev.net/