Jerry,

It sounds like you want a very very simple solution to this, so I am going to give it to you. This is _not_ considering clean. :)

You could give each of your line items a unique id like id="line-1" id="line-2" etc.

Give your text container an id... like id="text-container"

Then you should be able to bind clicks to them like this...

$('#line-1').click(function() {
$('#text-container').html('two or three paragraphs appear, describing greyhounds, whippets, Italian greyhounds, their relative size, average top speed, and so on.');
});

And repeat that for each line item. Again, this is like the most simple it can possibly be done. If you want to know more, look up each of those methods (click / html) in the jQuery docs.

Hope this helps!

Spot

Jerry wrote:
Hi all.

I'm totally new to jQuery, but have been assured this is the place to
"do stuff".

I'm still trying to work through the most basic basics, but in the
meantime, hoping I can find an example of how to do this.

On a given web page, the user sees two side-by-side areas of text
(i.e. two columns).

On the left is a vertical bullet list of lines of text.
On the right is a "container" for text.  The contents of the container
vary according to which item in the bullet list is clicked.

In other words, if the user clicks on the 3rd one-line statement, the
box on the right has a corresponding body of text.

Example:
On the left, click on a line that reads "Sight-hounds and other fast
dogs".
On the right, two or three paragraphs appear, describing greyhounds,
whippets, Italian greyhounds, their relative size, average top speed,
and so on.

Both the left and right "boxes" will be sized the same.

Is this doable?  If so, does someone have a working example I can look
at, please.

I'm primarily a photographer, not a developer so need to ask your
patience (and maybe use "small words" :))

Thank you very much!
Jerry