On Apr 7, 10:52 am, Laker Netman <laker.net...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am working on a vertical, AJAX-produced dynamic menu that will has
> two levels of flyout sub menus.
>
> So far the menu works as expected in Firefox 3.0.8 and Safari 3.2.2,
> both on Windows, but not in IE7. The issue I'm dealing with is that
> the sub menus do not appear next to the higher level menu as they
> should. Instead the pop up "all over the place". Sorry to be vague,
> but there doesn't appear to be any pattern. Some sub menus overlap
> with the parent menu, some appear to the right with a wide gap (which
> varies from menu choice to menu choice) and vertically the sub menus
> start anywhere from the top of the screen to somewhere outside of the
> visible area. Some sub menu even have some gaps between groups on the
> list. That is choices A, B and C appear together, then a vertical gap
> of 50 or 60 pixels, followed by D, E, and F.
>
> Here is the CSS I'm [currently] using:
> #nav {
>         position: relative;
>         margin: 0px;
>         padding: 0px;
>         top: 126px;
>         left: 2px;
>         font-size: 10px;
>
> }
>
> /* Vertical menu */
>         #nav ul { /* all lists */
>                 padding: 0px;
>                 margin: 0px;
>                 list-style: none;
>                 width: 148px;
>                 z-index: 5;
>         }
>
>         #nav li { /* all list items */
>                 border: none;
>                 position: relative;
>                 float: left;
>                 line-height: 27px;
>                 margin-bottom: -1px;
>                 width: 143px;
>                 height: 28px;
>         }
>
>         #nav li ul { /* second-level lists */
>                 position: absolute;
>                 padding: 0px;
>                 left: -999em;
>                 margin-left: 100px;
>                 margin-top: -50px;
>         }
>
>         #nav li ul ul { /* third-and-above-level lists */
>                 left: -999em;
>                 margin-top: -20px;
>         }
>
>         #nav li a {
>                 width: 135px;
>                 w\idth: 135px;
>                 display: block;
>                 color: white;
>                 font-weight: bold;
>                 text-decoration: none;
>                 background: url(/images/buttonOff.png);
>                 padding: 0 0.5em;
>         }
>
>         #nav li a:hover {
>                 color: black;
>                 background: url(/images/buttonHover.png);
>         }
>
>         #nav li:hover ul ul, #nav li:hover ul ul ul, #nav li.sfhover ul ul,
> #nav li.sfhover ul ul ul {
>                 left: -999em;
>         }

> [...]

Okay, lucky me, I get to answer my own question :)

(First, one thing I neglected to mention originally: the page is
rendering in standards-complaint mode in all browsers using HTML 4
"Strict".)

It appears to be an issue with IE and how the CFscript is generating
the unordered list for Superfish. I had to re-write a portion of the
ColdFusion to close the anchors used as menu titles on the same line
as they were generated. Here's an example:

<ul id="nav">
        <ul>
                        <li><a href="/items.cfm/booksAndVideos">Books &
Videos</a></li>

WORKS FINE, HOWEVER

<ul id="nav" class="qmmc">
<li><a href="">Learning Aids
        </a><ul>
<li><a href="/items.cfm/LearningKits">Learning Kits
Videos</a></li>

DOES NOT, even though it's syntactically identical....

Cheers,
Laker