Hi Devesh,

I'm not sure if you're concerned because your virus scanner reported
something or because you'd like to have some assurances that what you're
downloading is legitimate. I'll address both just in case.

1) Virus Scanner Reported Something: In some instances, anti-virus
programs have reported a false positive on packed versions of various
libraries in jQuery. It's definitely a false positive and not a virus in
any way.

2) The jQuery downloads are basically text files that we manage & the
project has been active for 3 years now. We have a tremendous number of
large scale users leveraging jQuery so you can rest assured you're in
good company. You can see a list of them here:

http://docs.jquery.com/Sites_Using_jQuery

As Ralph mentioned, the fact that Google hosts the jQuery library on
their CDN is a good indicator of the safety level of the library.

In terms of viruses & jQuery, you should be fine.

If you're concerned about downloading it from our site or using the
Google hosted version, please feel free to download the code and create
your own version of it. This will give you the best level of control
over the build process:

http://docs.jquery.com/Downloading_jQuery#Subversion_.28SVN.29

We want you to enjoy your experience with jQuery and provide the best
option available for your usage.

Best,

Rey
jQuery Project Team