Thanks for the swift replies.

I've got a lot to learn about javascript, and at this point, adapting
charlies code, I get a strange effect that I didn't anticipate, and
don't understand.

 $('.thumbnail').live("click", function(){

        $("div[id^='thumbnail']").click(function() {
                alert( $(this).attr('id') );

});

For the first time I click on a div, I get nothing. No alert.
For the second time I click a div, the alert pops up a couple of
times.
For the third time, the div pops up multiple times - displaying the
id, and then displaying the name of the class.

I'm guessing that I'm encountering something about js that I don't
understand.
If someone were to give me a pointer that explains this behaviour, and
how to change it I'd be grateful.

Thanks.