Just experienced this in Firefox 3, not sure whether it is desired
behavior, but discussed it with a fellow dev and we think it is not.

I had an ajax request as follows:

var myData = null;

$.ajax({
  'url' : 'foo.php',
  'data' : myData,
  'type' : 'POST',
  'dataType' : 'json',
  'success' : function(j) {
    // whatever

Client was reporting a 411 HTTP response code on the request -- their
proxy was expecting a Content-length header on the request, and wasn't
getting one. This also occurred if myData was undefined. It did *not*
occur when myData was {}.

We hadn't detected this error internally because our requests weren't
proxy'd. It seems Content-length should always be there, and should be
0 if myData is null or undefined. However, I'm not sure whether this
is just a Firefox issue, or something that jQuery should address in
the spirit of abstracting away browser differences?