Well, I solved the problem, but not by using getJSON. Here's the
solution, in case it's helpful to anyone else. I found a page that
lists a fourth undocumented (according to them--didn't have time to
verify) parameter of $.post(), and that is the data type.

http://thecodecentral.com/2007/11/20/the-missing-parameter-of-jquerypost

I changed getJSON to post, specified the datatype as "json," changed
request.querystring to request.form in the asp file, and it worked. I
may never know why the other one didn't work, but thank goodness this
one is working.

Cheers,
Kathryn