Thanks everyone!  You've definitely made some great points for me to
consider.  I'm really new to scripting (normally I can find plugins to
do what I want) and you're probably right that there is a much easier
solution to what I'm trying to achieve.

I'm going to take your suggestions and see what I can figure out on my
own.  If I can achieve the effect I'm desiring I'll post the end
result for some feedback.

Cheers!