Hey all,

Two quick questions for you. I couldn't find the answers while
searching... This would be a great thing to add to the jQuery FAQ, by
the way.

(1) Is it advisable to place a page's $(document).ready() stuff in an
external .js file?

I've been doing a lot of reading and research on optimizing my front
end code, and YSlow seems to make a big deal of placing code
externally if possible for caching reasons. I understand the
usefulness of placing the code in an external document for that
reason, however, the problem is that there are a lot of functions for
button and link clicks, shows/hides, etc., that are unique to that
page and used differently on other pages.

Thus, putting it externally means it would most likely have to be in
an independent file just for that page... which means an added HTTP
request which is really the speed killer.

So anyways, looking for thoughts on this one.

(2) Is it advisable to place the $(document).ready() at the bottom of
the page right before the closing BODY tag?

Also when doing my research, I've seen that YSlow makes a big deal of
this as well. I'm sure many of you on here have discussed it or
thought about it yourself.

My question though is does it make sense to put the ready() code at
the bottom? Does it help? Is it useful? Will it break?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. Take care everyone.