Kyle wrote:
> I am an amatuer website creator and like to use the most accepted and
> best methods of developing on a site. I learned how CSS simplified how
> HTML looks and now I've been reading about how jQuery simplifies how
> HTML "acts" with javascript.
>
> Right away I ran into a wall. I am using Windows XP and Microsoft
> Expression Web 2 to create my site. I cannot figure out how to build,
> make, unpack jQuery. I'm not exactly sure what it is, either. Is it a
> server-side language interpreter?

jQuery is javascript code. It run on user's browser, when the user load
the web page.

> As I understand it, I place the jQuery.js file into my html folder on
> myserver. Then, I create an external .js file, similar to a .css file,
> that houses all the javascript code for my html file.

jQuery is no different than other javascript. If you can write
<script type="text/javascript">
alert("Hello World");
</script>

and successfully got the alert dialog box, then you can code in jQuery.

> I like the sound of "Write Less, Do more," but I do not know how to
> get started. I appreciate any help I can get.

Do you have a real problem to solved using javascript? I found the
easier way to learn something is when I have real world case that I
want/need to solved.
Here is one of interesting use of jQuery (it's featured on the jquery
website)
Hide an paragraph, when a user click a link, show that paragraph.

Try to figure a way to do it, then look for jQuery feature to solve that.

Happy learning :)

--
Assalamu'alaikum wr wb

Wassalamu'alaikum wr wb