Hi all,

I am brand new here.  Except for quick installs of pre-written scripts
over the years, I have very little experience of javascript (do we use
the acronym "js" here?)  I have written in visual basic (I was last
semi-fluent with the 1998 version), and in WebDNA for 10 years (server-
side web scripting language, like PHP, only much less known).

I am writing to ask your opinions about accomplishing a solution to
our need.  I am not sure if we can do this with jQuery or js?

Here is what I need your opinion about how to solve:
  We have a series of forms for the user to submit.  We gather various
data from the user at each form.  We save his input to disk at every
form submission but also eventually want to do some final processing
on his input (do some math, over and above just saving his input).  We
only want to process his data once we have accumulated as much data
from his as possible.. i.e. as much as he has patience to input for
us.  *One special thing is that we can only do this final processing
one time.*  Ideally we want to wait until he reaches formN to do this
final processing of his data.  But if we knew he was only going to
stick around to see form3 and then leave..  then we would simply do
the final processing after he submitted form2.  The problem is that we
never know when the user will get tired and leave.  We would do the
final processing earlier before losing him, but we can only process
once and we don't want to miss the chance to gather yet more data from
him before we process.  If he leaves our site at form2 (or form3, or
form4, for example) then we want to process whatever data we have
gathered from him in total...  meaning *as if he had submitted the
form* he is now looking at after having checked the checkbox which
says "this is my last form!".  We want to process as though he
submitted one last form after alerting us that it was going to be his
last submission - even though he is actually now leaving our site by
closing the browser window, or closing the browser tab, or entering a
new URL to go to..  or using a browser bookmark ..
   I assume there is a way to capture the event that fires when
someone closes the browser window, closes the tab, (or also even if he
just leaves our domain within the current window/tab?)..?
   Can I capture all these possible events (and others that you can
think of that I neglect to mention here) into one umbrella event that
fires and effectively submits the current form one last time - thus
signaling to our server to go ahead with the final processing?

If  jQuery does not have this capability, then what about javascript?
Please advise!

Thanks for your time reading this.
-Govinda